Warning issued by Lincolnshire Police:
We are receiving reports that a scam is currently being targeted at ATM cash machines across the Lincolnshire County.
Cash traps are a way that criminals manipulate ATM machines to prevent customers from receiving some, or all of the cash they’ve requested.
A cash trap is usually installed at the cash dispenser shutter. When a customer attempts to withdraw cash, the transaction proceeds normally but the cash does not appear. It has been retained by the trap and is recovered by the criminals after the customer leaves the ATM.
Please follow the following advice if you suspect your machine has been targeted:
- If cash does not dispense during a withdrawal at an ATM, report it to your bank immediately and follow their instruction. Your contact number for your bank should be displayed on the reverse of your bankcard.
- If you see anything unusual on an ATM, find a device or if an apparent part of the machine falls off while you are using it, report this to the Police on 101 as soon as possible.
- Never use an ATM if you are suspicious of people loitering nearby.
- Try to use your debit cards direct when shopping to reduce the need to withdraw cash.
- Use alternative methods to obtain cash, such as the Cashback facility on your debit card (e.g. Visa Debit, Maestro), which is available at most retail outlets.
- Use ATM cash machines that are inside shops and banks as these may be safer than isolated machines.
If you have been a victim of this type of crime or if you suspect that a crime of this nature is taking place, please ring the Police on 101 giving full details.
If you have details of persons committing this type of crime you can ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 – you do not need to give your name.
Tel: 0800 555 111
(A national charity that enables members of the public to give confidential information relating to crimes and criminal activity, without giving their name or details.)
To report a fraud or scam, call the national helpline or visit:
Bottesford Parish Neighbourhood Watch
Mob: 0772 5636626
If you no longer wish to receive these messages please send a 'Reply' with 'Unsubscribe' in the Subject line.