The following advice has been circulated by Nottinghamshire Police. We thought it was a useful reminder for our residents.
As Sunday 28 October 2012 marks the end of British Summertime and the clocks go back an hour, we would like to take this opportunity to remind you of simple steps that can be taken to protect your property and deter opportunist offenders:
- Make your home appear occupied when you are out or away by using timer switches to leave lights on don't forget the added bonus of lights on timers is not having to walk into a dark house!
- Use low energy security lighting outside your property as a deterrent;
- Consider leaving radios on and the use of 'fake televisions' to make your property appear occupied. 'Fake TVs' can be purchased for under £25 online;
- If you are going out after dark close the curtains so that valuables cannot be viewed from the outside;
- If you have an intruder alarm, ensure that you use it. If not, consider investing in an intruder alarm to protect your property a professionally installed and serviced alarm could also reduce your insurance premiums;
- Fit and use good quality locks on windows and doors and ensure that they are securely closed even when you are inside (always ensure that in the event of a fire you are able to exit the property easily);
- Consider asset marking products for your valuables. Where possible, use visible marking products such as SelectaMARK. Never leave desirable items such as handbags, keys, laptops etc in view of windows or doors - these should all be out of sight;
- Ensure items such as ladders and garden tools that could aid an offender are locked away.
Please pass this information onto family and friends that are not registered on the alert system.
Bottesford Parish Neighbourhood Watch
Mob: 0772 5636626
If you no longer wish to receive these messages please send a 'Reply' with 'Unsubscribe' in the Subject line.